In this article, we will discover How to Use One Keyboard and Mouse for Two Computers to improve productivity.
As a content creator, I use two computers at home. Even when I was working at the office, I used to work on two PCs. However, at home, I connect both the CPU to my BenQ monitor and switch the display when required. In the office, I used to work on a PC and a laptop side-by-side.
In both cases, I was having difficulty changing the Keyboard and Mouse. You might also be having similar difficulties if you are using 2 Computers. I tried different tactics, searched the internet, and finally found a few solutions. There is a software solution and a couple of hardware solutions.
Table of Contents
How to Use One Keyboard and Mouse for Two Computers:
Use 1 Keyboard and Mouse for 2 Computers using KVM Switch:
A KVM switch is a box-like device that has several USB ports. Some allow you to Control 2 Computers with One Mouse and Keyboard, and some allow you to connect up to 4 devices.
Here is one of the best KVM Switch that allows you to connect up to 4 USB devices (incl. Mouse, Keyboard, USB drive, and Printer). The Hardware Methods let you connect to multi-platform devices like Windows, Mac, and Linux.
How to use it:
- You will get this KVM Switch with two USB cables, which you need to connect to the USB drive of each computer.
- On one side there are two USB ports. Plug the two USB cables in them. The device is almost ready to use.
- On another side of the device, there are four USB ports. You can plug any four USB devices into it.
- When you want to switch the controls, simply click the button on top. It also has a light indicator to indicate which computer you are connected to.
Cross-Computer Mouse and Keyboard:
It will be hard to find Cross-Computer Mouse and Keyboard Combo. So, you might have to purchase them separately.
Here is a Keyboard by Logitech that allows you to switch between three devices with a single button.
This mouse from Logitech also lets you connect and control multiple devices, including Windows and Mac. It is also an Ergonomic Rechargeable Wireless Mouse. You can read more about Types of Computer Mouse here.
How to Use:
- Logitech Mouse and Keyboard can be connected using the WiFi Nano Reciever or Bluetooth.
- Connect one device with Nano Receiver and One with Bluetooth. Or you can even connect multiple devices using Bluetooth.
- You have to use the Switch on the Keyboard to change the control.
- Note that some products require you to install their software on both computers.
The Hardware Method is the Best and Hassle-Free method to Use One Keyboard and Mouse for Two Computers.
Control 2 Computers with One Mouse and Keyboard using Software:
These days, there are several applications that allow you to Control 2 Computers with One Mouse and Keyboard. One of the Software is Synergy, which can be downloaded on Windows, Mac, and Linux computers.
Another popular tool is ShareMouse, which is only suitable if you want to share only the mouse.
How to Use?
- You need to download the software on both computers, and then switch the control to whichever device you want.
As I said before, there are several ways to Use One Keyboard and Mouse for Two Computers, but I prefer to use the KVM Switch. You simply need to plug and use. It doesn’t require any additional software or internet to work.